Monday, April 26, 2010

Competition

Hello, my name is Scott, I am a recovering competitor. . .

Competition is addictive.  Competition drives the American business model.  Competition runs deep in the heart and soul of many people.  Can you finish this jingle from years gone by, "My dog's better than your dog . . ."  I admit, wholeheartedly that I am a competitor.  I like to win when I play basketball,  I like for the team I support to win championships.  But competition can often get  in the way of positive outcomes.

When local Churches of Christ compete for members, feelings suffer, accusations fly, and fellowship crumbles.  When Churches come to realize they are autonomous and can work together, we accomplish more for the Lord's cause. When a program focuses on the outcome of competitions then the effectiveness of that ministry suffers.  When a program focuses of the mission of Christ (rescuing the lost, serving others, etc.) we are not in competition, but in cooperation.

Without fail, when I mention that I am "against competition," someone will try to tell me that most of life is competition.  The usual arguments include competing with other men for the affection of the one I would eventually marry.  I did not feel I was in competition with any other men.  Amy and I formed a friendship, that slowly moved to a romantic attachment, that quickly and naturally became exclusive.  Until the day, I proposed to her and she accepted, we were both open to the fact that if either one felt that our relationship was not going to last, that we had the right and responsibility to end it.  Once we said, "I do" however, the relationship became completely exclusive.

A second argument is that as a preacher, I competed for the role of ministry where I am currently located.  There were other men looking at my current position, and the elders were considering other men for this work.  Did I desire that those men lose to me? No!  I came looking at the opportunity here and allowing the folk here to see if I fit what they were looking for.  If so, then I was open to move.  If not, then I would continue where I was and be open to other opportunities that God would have me pursue.  I did not compete for this position, I came as myself and let things work as they would.

More recently, someone suggested that I am in competition with Satan for souls.  At first I had no answer.  As I thought more about this my answer is this: God is at war with Satan.  Satan is destroying souls and lives. God wants lives rescued from the disaster that Satan causes.  I am not competing with Satan, if I do, I lose by a long shot, "Wide is the path that leads to destruction and many there will be that find it."  Maybe this is narrow-minded of me, but I see my role as seeking to rescue folks from sin, not win an argument with them.  I present an offer of salvation through the only avenue that can save them - Christ (John 14:6) and let them decide for themselves.  I plant the seed and in some cases water the soil or young growth, but it is God who gives the increase.  God battles Satan and the victory is His in Christ (1 Cor 15:57).

In our family when we play card games, board games, and other similar games, we play for the fun of the game and the conversations that occur as we play.  I don't win a lot of games, we do not even finish games, but we have fun being together.  I repeat my belief that  competition can often get  in the way of more positive outcomes.  I am trying for a less competitive life. Am I completely free of competition?  No.  I still compete with myself to improve myself to do my best and I take that one day at a time and I still struggle when I am playing a game with someone who is super-competitive.  I just have to ask myself, "what does it matter in the end?"

What are your thoughts on competition?

No comments: