Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day to You!

What a beautiful day we are having in my part of Alabama. Cool this morning with highs reaching 75 f.

April 22, 1970 was the first Earth Day celebration in modern history and 29 years later we are still here. With Earth Day in mind, last night I helped (really watched) my wife bake a single layer 18 inch round cake and decorate it to look like the Western Hemisphere for her 1st grade class' Earth Day activities. I think I will show up at school today somewhere around recess!!!!

I am not an extremist in the area of environmentalism, I do not carry an EPA membership card. However, for the last 20 years I spend time encouraging young people to take care of the earth. I do not do this out of fear of global warming, I am old enough to remember being taught in elementary school that the earth was heading to a new ice-age. My understanding is that the earth has cycles of warmer and cooler periods that last for decades, centuries, or even millennium. That being said, I still think we are to do our part of keep the earth.

I believe Christians may need to step it up a bit and not be wasteful but good stewards of the earth God gave us. Take note of these instructions from God to man, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves on the earth." (Gen 1:28) "Subdue and have dominion" do not have to have negative connotations, they could very well mean to "cultivate and take care of." If that is the case, and I think it is, God commanded us to care for our temporary home planet.

So today, Earth Day, remember the blessing God has given you with a home created for you, then remember that He left you in control to make sure she is there for future generations if He chooses for time to remain.

Scott

No comments: