Tuesday, April 28, 2009

They are Watching You



Yesterday (Monday, April 27), I went with other ministers to a meeting in Winfield, Alabama. Matt Heupel who preaches in the Florence, AL area and teaches Youth Ministry and Bible at Heritage Christian University spoke to us about Youth Ministry. There were active Youth Ministers in attendance and some of us formerly worked as Youth Ministers. He had a lot of good material to share and the conversations that followed were informative as well. Below is a test he gave us, that I want you to take. This is not a long test and will not require more than a few minutes of your time. Grab a pencil (or pen) and a sheet of paper, then answer these THREE questions:

1. In the next 30 seconds list five (5) sermons that had a great impact on who you are today.




2. Take 30 more seconds and list five (5) events or activities you attended or participated in as a young person that influenced you to be who you are today.




3. Now take 30 seconds to list five (5) people who influenced your life.


If you are like me, you struggled to list five sermons (and I preach them). It was a little easier to list five activities, but not as easy as it was to list five people.

What a great observation this little test forces us to make! I have great influence on others. Someone is watching me and learning from me. That is why Jesus tells His followers, "You are the light of the world . . . so let your light shine before men that they may see you good works and glorify God."

What do those who are watching you see?

Scott

5 comments:

Tim Archer said...

That's a really effective exercise. I'll have to remember that one. Thanks for sharing it.

Grace and peace,
Tim Archer

Anonymous said...

I really liked this quiz. It brought back memories I should have all the time. Thanks, Scott, you are a great example to all us old and those young. God bless you with many years.
Nita Kirkland

John said...

Scott, I wasnt able to come, as I mentioned to you earlier today. Were the responses shared? If so, I hope some of the youth ministers mentioned sermons/sayings by Jesus. Organized events are fine and I am not against them. But when I was growing up, I never participated in them. I didnt go to camp, didnt go to youth meetings - and I dont think I really suffered from it. I didnt go because I was from a really small church and was very, very shy and self-conscious. You are hearing from a sample of one, but maybe we need serious mentoring from youth ministers and preachers like me. Maybe we need the kids seeing us holding the hand of the sick and dying, to see how seriously we take Bible study/knowledge and worship, to see some humility in action - rather than how hard we try to plan things to keep them occuppied. It could be argued that both could be done, and that is likely the best argument. I am all for that. I am really impressed with the youth ministers I have met in this area. They are wonderful Christian guys who are growing great families. I just think we need our ministries to be service driven and not activity driven. As I said, there is room for both. But dont forget why Jesus came...'to minister'....

If Jesus were physically here today, would we find Him at a youth event, or at the hospital? How did Jesus do it? How some human does it is not the point. If I were going to get human action involved, I would want to know how a person specifically applied lessons directly learned from the life of Christ. I would like to see the dots connected.

I am sure your speaker did a great job at Monday's meeting. I am in no way criticizing him. I wasnt even there. I'm just a little confused as to why these three questions were the ones asked.

My answer to number two would be 'none'

My answer to number three would be 'Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.

I hope this generates some thoughtful comments.

Scott said...

John, The comments were mostly focused on bringing youth to service in Christ. Activities were seemed to be secondary to teaching and leading. The point the speaker was making was that we are to be examples of Christ to the youth and not simply activity directors or babysitters.

John said...

Great, that was my point precisely. Bless brother Heupel.

I started to say 'Great Scott' Do you get kidded about that the way I do about 'John Brown'?