Thursday, October 15, 2009

Raising Great Kids!

(At left: My son Andrew and his cousin Katy explore a drainage ditch in Grayson, KY)

Paul tells parents, " . . . do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord." Eph 6:4 (English Standard Version)

HOW can we do this?
I find a method in the imagery of the words of the Psalmist “Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.” Psalm 127:3-5.
Bow season begins this weekend in Alabama, so shooting skills are on my mind. When using a bow, there are four principles to a successful shot. These principles apply to raising great kids:

1. The Direction of the arrow is pointed is important. Where am I pointing my children? Toward the things of the world or toward the things of God (2 Cor 4:16ff)
2. The Strength of the pull on the bow-string is important. How much influence do I have on my children? Am I using the opportunities given me to give them strength to follow through with faith?
3. The Timing of release is important. Sometimes we push our children to grow up too fast. When children are "dating" at when they are barely out of diapers, we create problems for the future. Allow them to be kids. Do not release them to the temptations of the world before they are ready
4. The Accuracy of Aim is important. Know where you are pointing. Aim high. Point them to God and release when they are ready.

Have a great day!
Scott

No comments: