Monday, October 5, 2009

When I Preach

Last Thursday on iPreach, I mentioned the following poem about preaching. After a search on Google, I found the entire poem, but was unable to find the author's name. If any one knows or finds out, please leave a comment and I will give credit where credit is definitely do.

When I Preach
(Unknown)

When I preach, there are some who say
They could listen to me all day.

Others think I preach too long.

And some think I go about it wrong.

Some say my sermon is much too deep.

To others, it's shallow and they go to sleep.

Some report I hold them spell bound,

While others squirm and look around.


Some speak of me as an orator,

But others feel I'm a perfect bore.

Some believe I have no light,

And others think I preach just right.

Some affirm that I'm too bold,

Others wink and say I'm cold.


Some used to say I was much too young.

But others declare my spring has sprung!

Some folks tell I have met success.

Others think my work is a mess.

Some have said my pay is too low,

When they discover the pace I go.

Still others say it is above the peak,
"Why he only works three hours a week."

From all this, 'tis plain to see.

That as a preacher, I'm up a tree.

Condemned if I do, condemned if I don't;

Criticized if I will, criticized if I won't.

I can't please men of such discord,
So I'll just keep trying to please the Lord.

No comments: