Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Distractions

I am easily distracted by noises, movement, and other things that happen aroun . . . sorry a Cardinal flew by my window, where was I  . . . oh yeah, distractions.  I can be reading a good book, watching a game or TV show, talking on the phone, studying, or in a conversation with someone and something simple will happen and my focus changes. 

This interrupt driven nature can get in the way of relationships.  I learned early in our 20 year marriage, that when Amy wants to talk, I mute or even turn off the TV.  I do the same when our son, Andrew, asks a question.  If I am on the computer (working or researching) I choose to completely turn away from the keyboard or screen.  People are more important than technology.

This characteristic also can inhibit effective study.  I am struggling this week especially, there are roofers on my house, where I am working this week, so I can be here if they need to ask a question.  The hammering, scraping, the sound of falling debris, and their banter keeps getting me off task. (What was that noise? - brb . . . They dropped a load of shingles in the trash truck.)  See what I mean?!

I am sure I am not the only one easily distracted.

There is one other area that distraction can cause great harm; the realm of spiritual focus.  Many of us find the things of the world way too distracting.  The world pulls at us, flashes pretty lights, makes beautiful music, and paints beautiful scenes that lead us to at best momentarily lose focus on God and at worst lead us completely away.  That must be why Peter penned the following warning: "Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." 1 Pet 5:8 (ESV)

Scott

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

uughh, i hear ya, brother.
it's a constant battle that is lost more than won.