Friday, June 5, 2009

Friends

Wednesday night began our Summer Series at Parrish church of Christ. This summer our theme is Building Together with God. On June 3, my friend Jeremy Houck spoke about Building through Unity. During his outstanding lesson he pointed out that many think unity is total agreement with my opinions and doing what I want done. To illustrate he shared a favorite poem my Shel Silverstien:

Friendship
I know a way to stay friends forever,
There's really nothing to it,
I tell you what to do,
And you do it.

That poem is touching and funny only because too many people think that way. My challenge for you and me is that we learn how not to be from Shel Silverstein and learn how to be from Paul, "Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others" Phil 2:3-4 ESV.

Have a great week end!
Scott

No comments: