Thursday, May 14, 2009

Pomp and Circumstance

May 1985, I was where three of our young people here at Parrish are in their lives. Like Jenny, Heather, and Dakota, I was about to walk across a stage and receive that piece of paper I spent my life working for. I had plans, I had dreams, and some of them came about.

I would finish the summer as a steak cook and apprentice butcher, mow a few yards for extra cash, spend some time with fellow graduates, then it was off to Montgomery, Alabama to begin college at Faulkner University. There I would sing in the chorus on scholarship and learn how to become a preacher from men like Wendell Winkler, Carl Cheatham, Eris Benson, Ken Randolph, Leonard Johnson, Donnie Hilliard, Levi Sides, and others.

Overall things turned out great for me. There were a few speed bumps and pot-holes in the road to here, and I had to attend the UHK as well (University of Hard Knocks) to get where I am now, but I have no real complaints.

Now, twenty-four years later -- I cannot fathom (or I refuse to fathom) that I am old enough to say that -- I am married to a wonderful woman (Amy, the love of my life and my bride of 20 years this August). We have a bright, talented, 11 year old young Christian man for a son (can you tell I am proud of him). We work and worship with a great group of like-minded folk at Parrish Church of Christ (10 years this July!), and we live in a great small town where people still seem to care about each other. I knew that May in 1985 that life held great things for me, life has proven that true. I look forward to what the next quarter of a century brings.

Beyond that, I look forward to the day we all graduate from this physical life and enter eternity with God in heaven. I hope to see you there. Do you think we will get to throw our hats in the air when He says, "Welcome home, my child, enter in!"? I know I will want too.

Scott

No comments: