Monday, March 1, 2010

My Ten Favorite Non-Religious Books to Read

This morning I thought I would give you a reading list.  I like to read.  I read fiction, non-fiction, and religious books.  I enjoyed Harry Potter and the Lemony Snickett series and a few other pre-teen and teen books, but I also read on my level.  Here are ten books (both fiction and non-ficiton) I liked enough to read most of them more than once.

1. The Old Man and the Sea - Earnest Hemingway  - (Classic man against nature)
2. A Farewell to Arms - Earnest Hemingway - (The realities of war on one man)
3. A Painted House - John Grisham - (a departure from the normal Grisham style)
4. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee - (I really like Jem, Scout, and Atticus Finch)
5. 1776 - David McCullough - (Historical reconstruction)
6. Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson - (Not much better than pirates, treasure, and adventures at sea)
7. Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain - (The copy I first read had an early 1900's publishing date)
8. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain - (same as above)
9. Greece to 14 A.D. (?? Shuckburg, Putnam Bros. 1906) - (A rare history book)
10. Due South - R. Scott Brunner - (Scott's dad is a friend of mine.  This book is a collection of humorous stories and anecdotes about being a Southerner.  Scott's maternal grandparents are members where I preach and recently celebrated their 73 wedding anniversary.)

Grab a book a read.

Scott

2 comments:

JRandal said...

I found A Painted House depressing.

It was too close to home, in location and time.

Scott said...

A Painted House gave me insight into my father's life in Southern Ohio (just change the crop from cotton to tobacco) and the lives of the generation before me in the congregation where I work in Alabama. It was a depression story, but very true to the human condition.